Volunteer rescuers were called out this morning to a squirrel trapped inside what is supposed to be a squirrel-proof bird feeder. When rescuers arrived at the address in Vicarage Lane, Hellingly, the squirrel was frantically trying to get out, going round in circles and chewing at the plastic and wire.
A Sussex animal rescue charity is urging the public to dispose of potentially dangerous fat ball feeders before they cause harm to wildlife.
This year East Sussex Wildlife Rescue and Ambulance Service (WRAS) has rescued 3 starlings caught up in fat ball feeders, and is aware of other organisations having dealt with similar situations elsewhere in the UK.
Rescuers rushed to the aid of a young starling stuck in the bottom of a fat ball bird feeder in a garden in Eastbourne today (30th May 2012). Volunteers from East Sussex Wildlife Rescue and Ambulance Service (WRAS), attended on site at Priory Road, Eastbourne and used wire cutters to free the young starling from the encasing wire.
A Sussex wildlife organisation is urging people to clean their bird tables and feeders after a spate of garden birds being admitted suffering from coccidia which can easily be spread by unhygienic bird tables.
East Sussex Wildlife Rescue and Ambulance Service says people who love wild birds may not realise the harm their bird feeders and tables could be causing. 'Many people enjoy watching garden birds visiting to take food from bird feeders and off tables but how often are they cleaned' In a restaurant you wouldn't reuse a plate time and time without washing it. You wouldn't put cat or dog food down in a dirty bowl with out cleaning it first too. The same goes for bird tables and feeders. Every time you fill one up you should clean it out first and at least once a week you should disinfect the feeder and table' said Trevor Weeks founder of East Sussex WRAS.