March 2020

WRAS’s Monthly Casualty Up-date.

East Sussex Wildlife Rescue & Ambulance Service (WRAS) is committed to continuing to help our wildlife as much as possible during the current Coronavirus situation. However, along with everyone else, we are having to cope with the restrictions in order to do our part in keeping our staff, volunteers and the public safe.

We have stopped the public from entering our hospital but moved our trailer outside reception which is now operating as a drop off point for casualties. Please always call the rescue line 07815-078234 first for advice before delivering a casualty.

WRAS's trailer acts as drop off point for casualties.

Our first aid courses and hedgehog experiences for the next few months have been cancelled, as was our Quiz Night.

We are moving towards a restricted volunteer service to reduce the risk to staff and essential volunteers who need to weather out the coronavirus crisis for the sake of the casualties.

Two baby pigeons which Kathy is rearing.

Our Casualty Manager Kathy Martyn based in Uckfield has been kept busy the last few weeks as we have started to get young doves and pigeons coming into care. She now had her hands full rearing two very small hatchling baby pigeons, which she had to stay up through the night looking after initially.

Talking of pigeons last week saw WRAS called out to deal with yet another pigeon entangled in netting, this time just off Uckfield High Street. Rescuers were able to use ladders to gain access and cut him free. Luckily he has only a minor wound and should make a full recovery and return home fairly soon. Netting has become a regularly hazard for pigeons, and more and more frequently we are seeing pigeon becoming trapped or entangled in netting.

The Willowfield Road injured Fox.

WRAS received an emergency call just before 2am on Friday 13th March regarding a fox in Willowfield Road, Eastbourne who seemed to be disorientated, weak on one of his back legs and kept collapsing and laying down in the middle of the road. A huge thanks to the ladies who found him and managed to keep him safe, as well as for assisting with securing him when rescuers arrived. The fox was a little dazed but with no obvious injuries, he was given pain relief and assessed by WRAS’s vets and found to have a problem with his pelvis.  However, the injury is hopefully going to repair if the fox will relax enough and rest for a while.

A bundle of baby fox cubs

We have had our first fox cubs of the year. Four little ones came in from a derelict garage in Upperton Gardens in Eastbourne.  The caller thought they were rats, but when rescuers arrived they discovered they were fox cubs. Due to their size and general poor health we decided not to reunite them with mum and to keep them in care. They are growing every day and our Lead Casualty Manager Katie Nun Nash is taking them home to ensure they are fed every night properly.

Do you have green fingers or do you grow lettuce, kale, spinach, carrots? With the fastly approaching baby season, we are worried we may not be able to obtain the necessary veg and salad we need to look after some of the babies we get in like rabbits and ducklings, goslings, cygnets etc. If you are able to grow some extra so people can drop off small quantities on a regular basis to help us out it would be really appreciated especially under the current circumstances.

It never fails to amaze me how when you become a rescuer you come across rescues even when not on call!  Rescuer Daryl ended up dealing with a pigeon hanging by fishing line over Moat Pond in East Grindstead a couple of weeks ago. Using one of WRAS’s small boats the birds was soon rescued and now in WRAS’s care.

The most unusual rescue which most people will have already seen in the media was our little common seal which managed to get itself lost in the Heart of Reeds in Lewes Railway Land Wildlife Trust’s nature reserve in Lewes. Managing to get through two sluice gates and then across flood water into the Heart of Reeds, the poor seal was struggling to find his way back out again. The seal was rescued in a joint operation with British Divers Marine Life Rescue, and then transported down to Newhaven Marine for release.

Julia and Trevor wrestle the seal at Lewes
Follow us!