East Sussex WRAS rescuers were called out this morning to this collapsed fox in Steyne Road Seaford. Initially thought to be trapped under a fence, the fox was actually collapsed around the base of a compost bin.
Rescuers quickly had the fox caught and secured. But the fox's breathing was very shallow. The fox was hypothermic and in shock. In order to stimulate better breathing the whiskers were pinched to create a pain response to stimulate an adrenaline rush which saw a sudden increase and improvement in breathing. The fox was extremely cold so wrapped in a padded foil blanket to increase warmth.
Back at WRAS's casualty centre the fox was given additional heat and medication and is now being assessed by WRAS's veterinary staff.