Q – Wildlife on Roads

Q: I've found a dead wild animal or bird on the road, how do I dispose of it?

A: If the wild animal or bird is on the roadside, it is best to leave it on the grass verge. Your local council will have responsibility for disposing of it. You can report dead wildlife on roads using the links below:

Brighton & Hove City Council

Eastbourne Borough Council

Hastings Borough Council

Lewes District Council

Mid Sussex District Council

Rother District Council

Wealden District Council

If it is on private property then it is the landowners responsibility to deal with any disposal. Many people in the countryside opt to place dead animals in woodland or under hedgerows for nature to take it natural course and to help feel other wildlife. This is not always appropriate especially if you live in a built up area. Many council's will allow residents to double bag dead wildlife and place them in their wheelie bins. Please check with your local council first. If you are registered with a veterinary practice they may be willing to dispose of some dead wildlife - this is not always free of charge. Alternatively you can contact a pest control company who may have a licence to dispose of dead wildlife - they will normally charge for this service.

Follow us!