Rescuers from East Sussex Wildlife Rescue & Ambulance Service (WRAS) thought they might be being called out to an April Fools joke today, when they received a call saying a bird was flying around in the play area of Fort Fun on Eastbourne Seafront.
A sparrowhawk became trapped inside a church in Tenterden this morning after chasing a pigeon inside for lunch.
Chris Brown was in the process of opening the church for a funeral this morning when the sparrowhawk was spotted flying around high up inside St Mildreds Church in the centre of Tenterden. Mr Brown contacted several animal rescue groups before calling East Sussex Wildlife Rescue & Ambulance Service (WRAS) for help.
East Sussex WRAS is committed to continuing to help our wildlife as much as possible during the current Coronavirus situation. However, along with everyone else, we are having to cope with the restrictions in order to do our part in keeping our staff, volunteers and the public safe.
East Sussex Wildlife Rescue & Ambulance Service (WRAS) has had its first fox cubs of 2020 admitted into care.
WRAS received a call from a gentleman in Upperton Gardens Eastbourne just after 1pm yesterday (Monday 9th March 2020) after he found what he thought were rats in a derelict garage.
Staff at the Linklater Pavilion on Lewes Railway Land Wildlife Trust were surprised to look out their window and see a seal swimming in the Winterbourne Stream this morning. Concerned about the seal’s behaviour and that it must have come through two sluice gates to get into the stream, staff called out rescuers from East Sussex Wildlife Rescue & Ambulance Service (WRAS).
Off duty Rescur Daryl Farmer was about to go to the Gym at East Grinstead yesterday when he heard about a rescue at Moat Pond East Grinstead. On social media posts were mentioning a wood pigeon hanging by fishing line above Moat Pond. "Friends of Moat Pond" had tried to get to the bird but due to the depth of water were unable to do so.
East Sussex Wildlife Rescue & Ambulance Service (WRAS) rescuers were called out to check on a Bat Box after the oak tree it was located in fell across the lane overnight.
Trevor climbed up to the bat box but could not tell if any bats were inside, so the box was removed and lowered to the ground. “A local resident spoke to the Sussex Bat Group and after advice from them called us out. It was not an easy box to reach, and being at an angle we couldn’t see from the ground if anything was using the box” said Trevor Weeks.
WRAS rescuers were called out to Waitrose Uckfield after a little wren was spotted flying around inside the store. When rescuers arrived the bird was no where to be seen, but rescuers hung around and their patience paid off. The bird gave rescuers the slip several times but was eventually caught by Ellie as it tried to fly along one of the aisles next to the frozen veg. The wren was checked over and found to be fit and well, so was taken outside for release. Due to Storm Ciara being so wet and blustery, the bird was released inside a conifer bush to give the bird some much needed shelter.
Big THANK YOU to everyone at Hart Reade Solicitors for raising money for our charity over the past year. Through a Homemade Biscuit Bonanza, St. Georges Day cream tea, summer and Christmas raffles and Halloween and Christmas events, and many more fun staff events they raised an amazing £895.13. Ellie and Trevor went down to thank the staff this lunch time and to collect the cheque.
WRAS rescuers rushed to Hastings this lunch time after a lady reported a gull having fallen down her chimney onto a live fire. The gull managed to flap its way out of the fire place and ended up going up some stairs where it was then shut in a room for rescuers to catch. Because the lady said she thought the gull had burns rescuers rushed to the scene after the lady said she had tried other organisations. On arrival, the gull was checked over and found not to have any burns to it's skin at all, but just some very minior feather damage. Luckily the fire was not a huge blaze. After a thorough examination the bird was released outside and allowed to fly off.