A hedgehog almost died in Eastbourne after being caught in a four pack plastic can holder, but after being anaesthetised five times by vets, and looked after by a local wildlife charity the hedgehog named "Marciana" is now being returned to the wild.
On Bonfire Night East Sussex Wildlife Rescue & Ambulance Service (WRAS) was called out to Park Ave in Eastbourne to rescue a hedgehog after being found with its head and front legs through one of the rings of four pack holder. The plastic was so tight that it had dug into the hedgehog's body almost 75% of the way round the poor creature's body. "Rescuer Tony Neads cut the plastic from the hedgehog which was in a desperate state, clearly in a lot of pain and discomfort, after triaging the casualty it was rushed to the out of hours emergency vets due to the infection and severe damage. It was clear the hedgehog had been caught for several days and if left for much longer she would have died" explained WRAS founder Trevor Weeks MBE.