Volunteer rescuers from East Sussex Wildlife Rescue and Ambulance Service (WRAS) rushed to the aid of an injured badger at Seddlecombe near Battle yesterday (Tuesday 2nd March).
About 1.45pm owners of a small stables just south of Seddlescombe contacted WRAS after finding a badger with its rear right leg entangled in electric fencing. The power supply was switched off and the badger covered until rescuers arrived on site to help.
Rescuers Trevor Weeks, Kathyn Martyn and David Breden got straight to work to save the badger who was obviously in a lot of discomfort and pain. Carefully the badger was manoeuvred into a badger cage with its leg hanging out the entrance so that rescuers could safely cut away the strands of electric without the badger turning round and biting them. Medic Trevor Weeks used a special hooked scalpel to cut away at the two main strands which were tightly wrapped round the leg forming a ligature wound.
"The foot was very badly swollen and it was clear the circulation was likely to be compromised. After discussion with our on-call vet, emergency medication was given to help comfort the badger and stop him from going into shock. Due to the tightness of the ligature and potential damage caused to the leg rescuers rushed him up to specialist vets at St Tiggywinkles in Buckinghamshire for immediate treatment and assessment.
"Many people find badgers, foxes, deer and more caught in fencing, rope swings, netting and electric fencing and their first thought is to cut it free and set it loose again. This can prove fatal for some animals especially the ones which have been caught for long periods of time. On this occasion they followed our advice and left the badger caught up till be arrived and were able to cut him free in a secure and controlled manner and be ready to respond to any sudden change in the badger condition as a result of the toxins returned into the body" said Trevor Weeks.
The badger is now at St Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital in Buckinghamshire which is the largest wildlife hospital in Europe.
WRAS is urging landowners that have electric fencing which is not in use to remove it and store it away somewhere safe where animals can not become entangled.
WRAS is a completely voluntary organisation and relies on donations to help pay for its rescue work.
- END -
Press Contact: Trevor Weeks, East Sussex WRAS, 07931 523958Share this!